A line-up of top-class live music performances sure to brighten up frosty ...
The Pick n Pay Knysna Oyster Festival
Get ready for the 30th installment of the mother shucker of all festivals
The 2013 Pick n Pay Knysna Oyster Festival takes place from Friday, 28 June until Sunday, 7 July 2013 in the scenic Garden Route town of Knysna (roughly five hours from Cape Town). As indicated by its title, the main attraction is, of course, oysters and all their opulence. Though, aside from just mollusc eating (read our article on how to eat oysters) and Champagne drinking (the oyster’s natural counterpart), the family-friendly festival also offers plenty of activities for the kiddies, as well as heaps of adult entertainment, ranging from highly competitive sporting events to wine and whisky tastings.
The 10-day festival, which is now in its 30th year, has been decorating the streets of Knysna since its inception in 1983. Originally called the Knysna Winter Festival, the food and wine fiesta was designed to lure tourists to the seaside town during the off-peak season. It has since become an event that rocks the oceanfront village and is eagerly anticipated by both locals and foreigners alike.
What to expect at the 2013 Pick n Pay Knysna Oyster Festival
For the more relaxed, there are wine and oyster tastings, gala evenings, breathtaking views and just the chance to savour (yes, indeed) the good life. Throughout the festival, patrons can sample tasty molluscs prepared in various creative styles at a steal of a price at numerous ‘Oyster Hotspots’!
For the adventure-nuts, two of the most famous sporting events of the year are on the cards: the Pick n Pay Cape Times Knysna Forest Marathon and the Pick n Pay Weekend Argus Rotary Knysna Cycle Tour.
And for those who fall somewhere in between these two extremes, there are also soft sports, like cycling, golf, hiking, angling, and canoeing, on the schedule.
On the whole, the entertainment will most likely be more than fulfilling, with local bands, singers and performers set to take to the stage, guest appearances by local celebrities, and sporting workshops, art lessons and more for kids. What’s more, the South African Navy traditionally visits Knysna during the festival, and their band will once again delight crowds with street performances and waterfront concerts and will also be performing at the annual Admiral’s Ball. Then, there’s also the Pick n Pay Flavours of Knysna competition, in which chosen restaurants will showcase their wares and compete for prizes.
Highlights at the 2013 Pick n Pay Knysna Oyster Festival
- Live concert and street parade by the South African Navy’s band
- Pick n Pay Flavours of Knysna competition
- Admiral’s Ball with the South African Navy’s dance band
- Young Oyster Festival (for the kiddies; features fun rides, sport workshops, movie screenings, art lessons and more)
- Annual oyster shucking (opening) and eating competitions
- Knysna Wine Festival (showcasing nearly 40 first-rate local wine estates, including bubbly from the Cap Classique Association)
- Night Food Market
- Oyster Festival Bridge Tournament
- Simola Glenfiddich Food Pairing
- Tabasco Oyster Hotspots
Sporting events at the 2013 Pick n Pay Knysna Oyster Festival
- Pick n Pay Cape Times Knysna Forest Full Marathon
- Pick n Pay Cape Times Knysna Forest Half Marathon
- Pick n Pay Weekend Argus Rotary Knysna Cycle Tour
- Pick n Pay Weekend Argus Rotary Knysna Mountain Bike Race
- Oyster Festival Big 5 Challenge (to participate in this challenge contestants need to register for five of the seven major sporting events; see website for details)
- Pick n Pay Women’s Walk
- Spur Rotary Knysna Children Cycle Tour
- Knysna Classic Golf Day
- Knysna Lagoon Challenge Canoe Race
- Hi-Tec Knysna Forest Family Hike
- Scottish Leader Whisky Bowls Tournament
- Totalsports XTERRA mountain bike race and trail runs
- The Salomon Featherbed Trail Run
- KMC & Athletics SWD fun runs, relays, cross country races
Registration for sporting events at the 2013 Pick n Pay Knysna Oyster Festival
Note: entries for both the Pick n Pay Weekend Argus Rotary Knysna Cycle Tour and the Pick n Pay Cape Times Knysna Forest Full and Half Marathons are now closed.
- Registration for both the Pick n Pay Weekend Argus Rotary Knysna Cycle Tour and MTB Race takes place on Friday, 28 June 2013. Doors open at 1pm and close at 8pm.
- Registration for both the Pick n Pay Cape Times Knysna Forest Full and Half Marathons takes place on Friday, 5 July 2013. Doors open at 10am and close at 10pm.
Tickets for the 2013 Pick n Pay Knysna Oyster Festival
General access to the event is FREE! However, many of the individual events require an entry or booking fee and will be charged and paid for seperately.
Read more about tucking into these moreish molluscs in our overview of Oyster Season in Cape Town!
Use our events section for an up-to-date overview of happenings in Cape Town. Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter, follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, join our Google+ circle, connect with us on LinkedIn and check out our Pinterest boards for updates.----
By Aisling Holmes